Payments for Hauling Water and Feed to Pasture

Attention to livestock producers with pasture: as a result of the drought we had this summer, the Farm Service Agency (FSA) has edited the Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees, and Farm-Raised Fish program (ELAP) and it will now give producers payments for hauling water and feed to livestock on pasture. The payments are easy to get and worth the time it takes. The updated ELAP policy includes places where:

•Drought intensity is D2 for eight consecutive weeks as indicated by the U.S. Drought Monitor;
•Drought intensity is D3 or greater; or
•USDA has determined a shortage of local or regional feed availability.

An online tool is now available to help ranchers document and estimate payments to cover feed transportation costs caused by drought. Download the tool here. If you have questions, a demonstration video and instructions are available.

Producers can apply to receive ELAP assistance at local FSA service centers. The ELAP application period ends Dec. 31 of each calendar year. In addition to submitting an application for payment, producers who suffered losses must submit a notice of loss to the local FSA service center that maintains the farm records for their business.

If you have questions regarding the MN Ag Water Quality Certification program or if you are interested in becoming a Mentor Grazier or Apprentice in the DGA program, or know someone who would be, please contact me: Angie Walter at 320-815-9293 or